T.E.S.T. Interview: Kostimusha

We hope to introduce you to all the great Etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 59th in our series with Snezana of Kostimusha.

Does the name of your shop have a particular significance?

I would say that it probably does not have a particular significance on some larger, human or philosophical level, but it does have a particular significance for my personal development and me. I established the shop in order to explore my own style, both as a designer and a consumer, and to discover what I am drawn to in terms of fashion design. All this was important to me as I do have education in fashion, as well as interest and love for it, but so far I did not have an opportunity to dedicate to that aspect of design. In a way, my Etsy shop is my baby step towards more independence and individuality in my work.

What kind of person/people do you envision wearing your pieces, and for what type of events?

I always imagined that woman who would wear my pieces will have a strong personality, with good sense of fashion and courage to express her individuality through her clothing. Events in this case would be less relevant.

How would you describe the "Kostimusha" style?

That is hard question… I am doing it, so I do not have to describe it ☺
I would say that my jewelry is eclectic, inspired by primitive ways of jewelry making but with modern twist to it.

Who or what are your main influences as an artist?

As a jewelry designer, my main influences are coming from African tribes, antique jewelry making, and fashion designers such as Haider Ackerman, Rick Owens and Damir Doma.

Where do you source your materials from?

There are a few stores in Toronto where I often go to check out their leather stock. I usually do not purchase big quantities and I need to touch and feel every single piece of material that I am going to use. For metal bits, I keep my eyes open wherever I go – from hardware and bead stores to old metal shops. Some of the metal that I use is custom made for me in those shops.

Check out the other items available from Snezana in her Etsy shop! You can find more of her work on Facebook and Pinterest.

Interviewed by Christa of ChristaRowley in November 2013 in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails