TEST Interview: RowanStudios

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 78th in our series and is with Karoliina of RowanStudios.

I am curious about what got you started, both in pursuing your craft and in setting up a shop on etsy. Can you tell me a little about how you define yourself as a craftsmen and about your history of learning and practicing your craft?

I've always wanted to work for myself, open up a little shop, be my own boss. I've just always made things with my hands, every time I see something I think about where it came from and how it was made. Over the years I've learned how to make and do all kinds of things, but never focused on one thing. Opening this shop is one way to allow myself to do that.

I was born in Finland, and I remember the log house we had, my dad built with family and friends, it was an amazing thing to see; a house just sprung up. They built it with their bare hands. I was young and it made me believe that anything I wanted I could just make. I don't know how to build a log house though, yet, haha! I'll stick to my Scandinavian style home decor and accessories, for now.  

What made you decide to set up a shop on etsy.com? 

I chose Etsy partly because I can't afford to rent a physical space. Also, Etsy just gave me everything I needed. I get to stay home a lot of the time, and work on my things. I find it much nicer to be able to just go for a walk or meet a friend if I need to get out of the house, instead of working out of the house and not being able to go home when you feel you need a break. I guess I'm more of an introvert, so it's perfect for me.

 I love hearing your story Karolina! It really adds a personal element to your work that makes it all the more wonderful. You have a very distinct style in your crafts. Simple, but with distinct personality that makes your work stand out. How would you define your own style? What would you say has influenced your style over the years?

Thank you, simplicity with a distinct style are words that just feel good to me, stylistically it's a compliment. Key phrases that have definitely inspired my work and life in general, in one way or another, are things like "less is more", and "simplicity is key", and "don't fix it if it's not broken". Maybe the airy, clean and precise look of my work is a Scandinavian thing, but it's definitely a result of deciding to make what I couldn't always find in stores and just for the love of creating.  

How do you start planning a new creation? What sort of things inspire you (or have inspired you in the past?

I can be inspired by anything, often it's a pattern, or colour, or even a song. I usually draw sketches of what I'm seeing in my head, to plan it out, and see how the mechanics of an idea would work, if applicable. Coffee and silence always makes me want to work, and I get that fairly often, which is really pretty lucky.

Check out the other items available from Karoliina in her RowanStudios Etsy Shop!

You can also find her:
Instagram : @rowanstudioshop
Twitter : @rowanstudios


Interviewed by Nicole of NRulffPhotography, April 30, 2015 in Toronto.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails