T.E.S.T. Interview: Wild Oak Studio

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 80th in our series and is with Victoria of WildOakStudio  

Tell me a little about yourself...plus one interesting fact. 

From a young age, creativity has always been a significant part of my life. I have an educational background in horticulture and floral design. However, I grew up with strong influences from my father who was a carpenter; and my grandmother who loved gardening, and truly appreciated all of Mother Nature's creations. I'd like to think that Wild Oak Studio is a collaboration of these influences. Another important aspect of my life, would be my dog Khloe. I adopted a husky mix from a local shelter two years ago- I may be biased, but she is beyond perfect. When I'm not working away on Wild Oak, or playing with fresh blooms, I am usually found at one of the many dog parks within Toronto. Rain or shine, we're two girls who just love being outdoors. From time to time, Khloe makes an appearance on my Instagram page.

Do you have a separate day job? How do you balance the two? 

By day, I work as a senior floral designer and event coordinator at a trendy floral shop in downtown Toronto. Since I am so passionate, hard working and goal driven, it's not a tough balance. When you love what you do, it never feels like work.

How did you begin working in wood? What is the appeal for you? 

As a florist and creative person, my mind always brewing my next project or creation. I adore flowers, however they are perishable. So I was inspired to create more lasting artwork. I have a keen eye for detail and interior design. My style is fairly rustic. So it just felt natural to begin working with wood. With each piece I create, I utilize my educational background and elements of design.

What led you to open the shop? 

I have a dream to open my own floral boutique, and craft shop. I opened my Etsy shop as a way to promote my business, and bring in extra income to bring me closer to achieving my goal.

Do you make any other crafts/items? 

Sure do! I create botanical wreaths, plant wall mounts, preserved floral arrangements, pressed flower designs, along with a wide variety of home decor items. As well, I do local garden and plant installments within our city.

What has been the biggest challenge as an Etsy Seller?

As a fairly new Etsy seller, I’d say the biggest challenge would be standing out in the crowd. Etsy is very populated with talented crafters; however, I am proud to say I am finding success. I promote myself on social media and create quality products. As a rule of thumb, I think "is this item something I would purchase?" If you would be willing to purchase it, there's a good chance there is a lot of other who would as well.

Check out the other items available from Victoria in her Etsy Shop! You can find more of her work on:
Twitter: @WildOakStudio
Instagram: @WildOakStudio
and at WildOakStudio.com






Interviewed by Ay GG of 9ineto9ine, May 13, 2015, in Toronto. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails