T.E.S.T. Interview: 1000CrowsVintage

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 105th in our series and is with Yvette Bessels from 1000CrowsVintage.

How did you come up with the name of the store?

I already had a shop '1000crows' while I lived in the UK. I chose that name as I wanted something that was slightly odd yet memorable. I love ravens and crows (who doesn't?) but I didn't want to opt for anything too generic. 'A murder of crows' was therefore soon out of the running. The '1000' in front of the name makes it higher priority in alphanumerical order, depending on how you execute a search. When I moved to Canada, I discovered that the back end of the shop (my bank account) could not be moved over by Etsy so I was forced into opening a new shop (the alternative being paid in GBP to my UK account and having to deal with currency conversions every step of the way) - but that also made it possible to add the 'Vintage' to the name, clarifying what I actually do.

Why did you start collecting vintage things?

Oh well, there are a few reasons; The foremost being that some of these objects are amazingly beautiful, but not being made anymore. Either because the market is too small, or the craftsmanship has been lost. Second, some of the objects I find would have been quite expensive when new - I certainly would not have been able to afford them! I am a pennypincher at heart, and nothing makes me happier than feeling I got a good deal on an item. Lastly, it feels amazing to find an object a loving new home. If needed, I will slightly alter or repair an item to give it a present-day use or appeal. Can you imagine all the items being saved from landfill like this? There is actually not much that I personally collect. I have the odd weird or pretty object floating about the house until I grow tired of it and put it up for sale, and numerous photographic items which I actually use. I have moved house so many times it has become easy to let go!

What was you first item in a collection?

To be honest, I can't really remember. I used to trawl flea markets when I was a kid and many, many objects have passed my hands since then. I did have a large stash of stuffed animals back then - haha! For the present day - I would have to say my Microflex TLR (an English made Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) Camera). I had a job as a studio photographer a number of years ago and was getting obsessed with famous photographers of the 1920-1960s. I found more than a few of my favourite images were shot using a TLR camera, so I got myself one. Since then, I have upgraded to a Rolleiflex and an antique plate camera to shoot my images, but I still have the Microflex (which is presently up for sale). If you are curious, you can see my photography on www.yvettebessels.com
Where do you go to search for the vintage?

In the UK, I used to go to local (and less local) carboot sales. I was up at 5AM and in my car by 6AM every weekend, throughout the year. I also visited antique fairs and antique centers and local auction houses to find my items. Being fairly new to Canada, I'm still finding my way around. I mostly visit local thrift stores and garage sales, as well as the weekly antique market in town.

Why do you think vintage is interesting to people?

It gives people an opportunity to own an object that is (near) unique, for a much lower price than buying newly made items. If you wear vintage clothing, there is much less chance of someone rocking up in the same outfit. Many items were better made; furniture was built to last and people took pride in craftsmanship. And, it gives people a vast range of styles and colours to choose from. Instead of having to wait for trends to 'come back round' - why not just go for the original?



You can also find Yvette and 1000CrowsVintage at these links:
Website : www.1000crows.com
Twitter: @1000crows
Instagram: @1000crows
Pinterest: @1000crows



Interviewed by Darya from KvitkaWorld on Nov 18, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails