T.E.S.T. interview: KateCanCreate

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 13th in our series, an interview with katecancreate.

What got you started in making handmade creatures?

When I was in university I picked up a copy of Stuffed Magazine, which is about "the crafting of softies". I was so inspired by the different artists' work that I wanted to make my own unqiue band of characters. I started buying fabrics and sketching little pirates and monsters and I haven't stopped making them since.

What do you find to be your greatest rewards and challenges with your creations?

There are so many rewards in creating my softies. I love dreaming them up and watching them come to life. When I finally finish a new character and give them a silly name it is really satisfying. I also love laughing at them as I pose them in ridiculous scenarios for photographs. Creating my characters allows me to express my sense of humour which is a great release for me. My nephews reactions to them are adorable and I cherish that part of it too. My three year old nephew can't stop hugging the monsters, I had to make him some.

The biggest challenges have just been setting up my Etsy shop and figuring things out as I go along. Promotion has been very overwhelming for me and I still haven't decided what would be most successful for my shop. I am considering trying some local craft fairs, creating a blog and things of that nature to increase my exposure.

Where do you see KateCanCreate in ten years?

My dream for KateCanCreate is that I successfuly launch my brand and am able to support myself and my family from it. I would love to create more shops on Etsy to sell my paintings, drawings and quilts and anything else I could possibly dream up over the next ten years.

You mentioned in your profile that you have been creating since you were little, what other things did you enjoy making?

I have been creating things forever. I can remember sewing little teddy bears with my mother when I was a little girl. While other kids played sports I took quilting and sewing classes, painted and crafted. My birthday parties would be centred around crafting and my mom even gave me a crafting room in one of the houses we lived in. I feel I am an artist through and through and nothing makes me happier than creating.

Check out more creations at KateCanCreate! Interviewed by clairevowles of Crafty Mosaics in February, 2011.

5 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails