T.E.S.T. Interview: KvitkaWorld

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 106th in our series and is with Darya Kucherenko of KvitkaWorld

How did you come up with your shop name?

While creating the shop name I wanted something that would reflect what I'm selling. As my background is Ukrainian and I live in Canada, I decided to unite somehow these countries in my shop name. "Kvitka" is flower in Ukrainian, this shows my Ukrainian part as well as describing that I'm using live plants in my work, and "World" shows my Canadian part and explains that my goal in to create a mini world. And KvitkaWorld means I'm doing miniature worlds using live plants, all of them have their stories.  

Talk me through making one of your miniature gardens - how and where do you start?

Every miniature garden starts with an idea, either I see some beautiful landscape I would like to replicate in a miniature version or a fictitious/imaginary garden. I love walking by houses and taking some ideas from the larger scale gardens. I decide on a plant combination (drought tolerant/or not) then think of the ideal arrangement of the plants, usually using a piece of paper and a pen. When decided, the magic begins -- all the plants are potted into the terrarium in the final arrangement, I add some decorations to give more life to this mini world.  



What does a regular weekday look like for you?

Every day starts with an idea of searching for a creative terrarium :) these are hard to find, and every time I visit any store I look at things as "would this fit and look good in a miniature garden?" While working I need to sit by myself near all the plants, usually I get help from my chihuahua who sits beside me and we start thinking together on the perfect arrangement. When not having orders I work much slower as I spend hours watching my new propagation babies growing.  

Do you have favourites in your plants? One in particular?

I never thought about which plant is my favourite. I love experimenting and having new plants for the florariums. Therefore I usually keep a wide variety of plants from drought-tolerant to higher maintenance plants.  

Your miniature decorations (benches, lanterns, etc) are super cute! Do you buy or make them?

The decorations in the florariums -- some are manufactured, some are hand made by other artists and some I make myself. I love making the decorations, but when I find something interesting I can't help purchasing, as every time I see a decoration piece I immediately have a florarium arrangement made in my head.  

What are your favourite stores to look for terrariums? Do you build them or ever considered building them yourself?

 I like glass florariums the most, there are several stores that offer such, but I currently have a person who supplies me with my favourite designs, which help reduce the cost for the florariums and saves me some time.

Where do you see yourself (and your shop) in five years' time?

In five years it's hard to predict what I will be doing, but I'm sure that my store will grow as my passion for plants will be always with me! :)



You can also keep up to date with Darya and KvitkaWorld here:
Instagram: @KvitkaWorld
Facebook: @KvitkaWorld






Interviewed by Yvette Bessels of 1000CrowsVintage on Nov 25, 2016. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails